Old 11-29-2012, 06:20 PM
barbb baumgardner

Originally Posted by SonjaG View Post
This is only my third project...why I decided I could conquer a queen sized quilt without any problems is beyond me. Anyway, I pieced the quilt together and after having it on the floor for a few days, finally saw a big problem. I laid everything out before putting it together, how did I not see it then? There appears to be an "unfortunate" pattern in some of the blocks. Seeing how my Mom was born and raised in Germany during the War, I just cannot leave those blocks as is. How do I fix just three or four of the blocks without taking the entire quilt apart?
I sure do SEE the pattern you don't want. I have taken an entire quilt apart when I used the split rail block for that very obvious "incidental/accidental" symbol. Given your own sensitivity to the swastika issue, you have no choice but to redo those offensive blocks. I no longer use the split rail blocks unless the colors are all very light or I can combine them without getting the symbol. The fact that others did not see the swastika indicates they are not sensitive to the feelings and experiences of people who lived through some pretty gruesome times. Chin up and you will feel better about giving your mom something you made without bringing hurtful memories of that time in her life! God bless! Barbb