Thread: itchy dog
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 06:44 PM
chris_quilts

Originally Posted by drgranny View Post
I had a little chihuahua mix who scratched all the time. I gave him flax seed oil and brewers yeast once a day and he cleared up. Then had a big black cat that lost all of his hair. His skin was clear and smooth. Vet gave him thyroid meds and he grew all his hair back. Have a long hair siamese who pulls out her hair. We have no idea why she started this. My husband shaved her for the summer and decided to let her grow back her hair for winter. Yep, she is pulling it out again. She doesn't scratch or have flakey or oil skin.
According to an article I read, Siamese and Siamese mixes are prone to ripping out their fur. Our Siamese mix does this and we had him on Prozac for 9 months which took care of the issue but when I learned it was a Siamese trait we just gradually decreased the dosage and let the cat be. He's missing some fur but I'm not fighting him every night to administer the meds and I'm not spending $60 every other month for Prozac for the cat either. I can only only afford one money pit at a time and right now that's my boxer. Hope this helps.
Chris