View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 07:20 PM
SewOK

Originally Posted by Rose_P View Post
On most machines it probably doesn't matter whether you change the stitch length to zero, but if you don't the feed dogs are going to be going back and forth needlessly. Why put wear on a part if you are not using it? Most manufacturers include setting the stitch length to zero as one of the steps in getting ready to quilt.

EllieGirl, hang in there. We all make mistakes, and I've certainly made worse ones that this. One time I made what was to be a very special suit dress and on the final step, slashing the button holes, my seam ripper got away from me and I slashed an inch beyond the end of the button hole, front and center. I didn't have enough of the fabric to replace that section. That was after about 35 years of sewing experience. Bleurk. One reason to love quilting: no button holes.
If you have the ability to drop the feed dogs on your machine (most new ones and several older models have that ability) then the feed dogs will not move back and forth and whatever your stitch length is set one will not be a factor.]