View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 09:17 PM
quilting in my60s

Originally Posted by josykatz View Post
I'm very new to quilting and sewing. I've been borrowing my mothers sewing machine to work on which is nice but I really wanted one of my own. During the Black Friday specials Amazon was selling the "SINGER 4423 Heavy Duty Model Sewing Machine With Metal Interior Frame and Stainless Steel Bed plate" for $99 there was only few left and the sale was ending in 15 min so my husband bought it for me.
I don't have a Singer but when I drop my feed dogs and then want them to go back up, I have to put a scrap of fabric under foot and start sewing then feed dog pops back up. Make sure you look and see if there is a dial of some kind to turn that allows the feed dogs to pop up when you start sewing on your scrap of fabric. Hope that helps!

It has a top loading bobbin, 3 needle positions, drop down feed dogs, automatic needle threader and sews 1,100-stitches-per-minute. I kind of wished I had read the reviews before we bought it, but it was in the fever of black Friday madness and fear on missing a good sale.

I'm having trouble getting it to work properly and my free motion stitches are really bad. The first time I dropped the feed-dogs they stayed dropped and I had to take apart the bed plate to reach inside to push them back up so they would engage. It has stitch length, stitch width, and stitch tension dials. I've tried all variations of each. I've read that either it is fantastic or a dud. Apparently Singer no longer makes their machines in the US they have them made in China.

I'm really bummed and hope I can get it fixed or working properly. Being such a new sewer I'm not sure if it is me or the machine, but I was doing well on my Mothers machine.
Does your Singer have a dial to turn off the dropped feed dogs? My machine does but then I have to put a scrap of fabric under the foot and sew a few stitches then the feed dog pops up.