Old 11-29-2012, 10:23 PM
thepolyparrot

I have a makeshift table that *barely* fits in my living room with room to get around all four sides. If I had to, I could clear out part of the garage and make it easier.

It's made with two 34" tall sawhorses, five 8' long 2x4"s and two sheets of 5/8" OSB plywood split in half lengthwise, to make them easier to handle.

The first picture is from upstairs, looking down on top of the 8' square table with a quilt on it, the second picture is taken from the side, showing the sawhorses and the third is a sketch showing how to layer the 2x4"s first perpendicular to the sawhorses, then the second layer perpendicular to the first, and then the four half-sheets of OSB.

The OSB is great because it's rough enough to hold the backing taut without taping, but I do use binder clamps along one side if I'm working on a quilt which doesn't cover then entire table.

The table is high enough that I don't have to bend or lean - I pin or tag-baste along one edge, as far as a foot and a half or two feet in toward the center. Then I fold the basted part and pull the whole quilt toward me and baste another 18" or so, fold, etc.

Setting the table up is a bit of a pain, so I try to have a batch of tops, batts and backings prepared to do all at once.
Attached Thumbnails basting01.jpg   basting02.jpg   basting_table.jpg