Old 11-30-2012, 11:37 AM
Skyangel

My first introduction to sewing was my Mom's 401 in a cabinet with a knee controller. When the 70s his and knit fabrics came out, the 401 did not do knits well. My Dad went and bought her a basic Kenmore portable that still sits on top of the Singer cabinet. Daddy bought me my own portable Kenmore for my HS graduation in 1978 and it was my only machine for 25 years.

Interesting about My Mom's Singer cabinet, it originally held a 66-6 my Grandfather bought for my Grandmother. Eventually she gave it to my Mom when she had kids, then Mom wanted the new functuions so she bought the 401 and put it in the cabinet, moving the 66 to a case. She always said there used to be an old black Singer in the cabinet but she did't remember what happened to it. A year ago it turned up in my Cousin's garage and I have it now.

When I got the quilting bug, I bought a used Bernina since that is what my best friend had. Then I found about Featherweights and had to have one. That was all it to to get the vintage sewing machine bug. I'm holding at 14 total machines since my hubby and I are building a house and will have to move everything in a few months. Most are portables but I have one cabinet with my Bernina, one with a 301, and a beautiful drawing room cabinet with my 1886 Singer IF fiddlebase treadle.

Last edited by Skyangel; 11-30-2012 at 11:42 AM.