View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 01:42 PM
antylu

Originally Posted by Janquiltz View Post
I attached a picture of my most favorite quilt - a Lori Smith Sampler quilt called "Patchwork Sampler" (about 63" x 76"). Every block was different - different colors, different patterns, and assorted sizes. Unless you choose a uniform background fabric, you don't have to worry about having to buy yardages - except for your backing. My blocks were made with bits and pieces of civil war era reproduction fabrics. Lori also designs samplers that combine applique and piecing - and almost all of her patterns would look wonderful as "scrappy". Larger quilt patterns cost vary between $9 and $14 - shipping to USA is free - but only $4 to ship overseas. She also does patterns for small quilts. Her website is: Frommyhearttoyourhands.com

Her pattern directions are simple and accurate. Regardless of where you get the patterns - a scrappy sampler quilt would probably be the most cost effective. Good luck and keep us posted on your project. Happy quilting. Jan
The above "Patchwork Sampler" is just gorgeous; there is another site; fairfieldworld.com that offers free block of the month patterns, this year I am downloading The American Spirit one but haven't gotten started on it yet; (remember if you download to check and see if you are printing in 100% for the template pages!) They also have a couple still there from 2011 and 2010. Good Luck, am sure you will be successful. (remember quilting came about from people saving parts of garments that were not too worn yet and from scraps etc, don't feel you have to always buy expensive fabrics, my Mom made most of her quilts from recycled things; even the linings from coats! Have fun.