View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 03:48 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

Hey there 'red oak' , it's always nice to meet a scrappy quillter and horiculturist among us!
You know you can't control the insanity of a scrappy quilt, for me they just happen and I will make almost any pattern into a scrappy.

When browsing magazines and books something will strike me as looking like a fun project and out come the scraps and playing with the pattern I picked to see if it will work.

All my quilts grow untill they are done regardless of any measurements. Some may be wall hangings and some become big enough to cover a queen size bed.

One of my favorite patterns is Path Through the Woods. It uses lots of triangles and you can really mix it up and the finished quilt looks just like you planned it that way.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379384[/ATTACH]

Another cool scrap pattern is Ocean Waves. Again many triangles and they look so great.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]379385[/ATTACH]

IMHO just about any pattern can be turned to a scrappy with just a little planning by adding a neutral color as one of the components to give the quilt some unity.

A neutral can be any color. It can act as a place to rest the eye or to define areas to slow down a very busy quilt.

The neutralizer can also be one color in many similar shades with different fabrics to countinue the scrappy theme.

This is how I start to plan a scrappy. Now , with all the info you gather from this thread, I will be expecting to see some scrappies from you posted soon.
peace
Attached Thumbnails dsc01167.jpg   tatw-hs-flwers-006.jpg  

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-30-2012 at 04:05 PM.