Old 11-30-2012, 04:23 PM
ube quilting
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ArtsyOne View Post
I've tried quilting around shapes using a hopping foot and the feed dogs down, but it required a lot of concentration and the stitches were definitely not as I would have liked - some were long, some were short. Since the cats are large and they have long straight edges, I would definitely use a regular foot with the feed dogs up and just sew slowly while turning the quilt when necessary.
This would be my choice too.

I would use basting spray on this one.

I have done a lot of panels and this on does not look to complicated. If you can slow your machine motor down it will work easily, if not you can practice going slow on some scrap first. Draw some gentle curves on some fabric and practice following them keeping the machine running slow. On some projects I even take one stitch at a time.

You will have to turn your quilt alot just take time and don't rush it. Be sure to have the needle down when turning corners or sharper angles.

One thing to make this an easier project is to not even try to outline every little thing on the quilt. Stick to the major parts that you want to high light. All those small leaves in the bowl of flowers don't need to be quilted, or those small white flowers or the bee. All the other parts look very do-able.

Take your time and have fun with it. It is a cool cat panel. I would like to do this one myself!
peace

Last edited by ube quilting; 11-30-2012 at 04:25 PM.