View Single Post
Old 11-30-2012, 09:58 PM
thepolyparrot

I know that there are ways to design asymmetrical custom quilt tops on EQ7, but I've never done it myself. I think that quilts like the ones you linked to are a piece of cake, once you learn to operate the layouts. You might not even need the custom layouts for those. People design bargello and 60º log cabins and applique in EQ7 - really complicated stuff. I don't think I will EVER use all its capabilities.

There is a forum on the EQ site and there's also a mailing list discussion and a yahoo group for asking how to do specific things with EQ - the people on those lists are extremely knowledgeable and helpful.

Just the help files are terrific on EQ7 and there are a lot of tutorials on the site and on user sites, as well.

If you like playing with programs like Photoshop or Publisher or Print Artist, you will pick up EQ7 pretty quickly - although there is a learning curve.

But, you will probably also find that you enjoy making virtual quilts as much as you like making fabric quilts - no kidding - designing quilts is a hobby in itself. The ability to instantly change any given fabric, to scan in your own fabrics, to instantly change block or border sizes, to layer applique and/or quilting designs over the piecing - it's just SOOOOOOO much fun!

When you add in the fact that it computes fabric yardages necessary and creates templates, paper-piecing foundations, rotary cutting charts, prints quilts, exports jpgs of your designs..... you'll be over the moon! It's given me wayyyyyy more than $160 worth of fun. And I think you can get it for $135 at Quilt in a Day, too.

You say you're kinda tech-y, so I would vote that you will LOVE it!

Last edited by thepolyparrot; 11-30-2012 at 10:01 PM.