View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 06:11 AM
needlefruit

Originally Posted by KyTriplets View Post
I think you'll find the majority of longarm quilters price by the square inch since everyone's "queen" is a different size "queen". Of course, there are also charges for batting, binding, backing, etc. For a basic meander quilting I charge .017/sq inch. For an actual edge to edge quilting pantograph I charge .02/sq inch. Custom starts at .037/sq in and goes up from there. If you are interested, you can check out my pricing on my website- QuiltedJoy.com It is always a good idea, though, to see what the going rate is in your area. Keep track of your time spent working and determine what you are actually making an hour. Operating a longarm machine takes practice and practice takes time so don't lowball your pricing. You are selling your skill and expertise. I'll get off my soapbox now.
KyTriplets's suggestions are totally in line with the going rate in South Central Texas. Every LAer I know charges by the square inch measurement of the unquilted quilt top, taking into consideration the quality of the piecing, etc. You really need to see the top before you quote. A nice, square, securely stitched top is one thing; a top that needs special handling because of open seams here and there, a wavy border, etc. is quite another thing. Remember what KyTriplets said: Don't lowball your pricing!!! I made that mistake at first and ended up working myself stupid for nothing.