Old 12-01-2012, 09:47 AM
ckcowl
Power Poster

1. Do you still enjoy what you do as much as before you started your business? yes, i still enjoy quilting- been doing it as a business for 8 years now

2. Do you use your business as your main income or just for extra and for fun? it has in the past been enough income to (support my quilting habit) and allows us extras in life...vacations, concerts, weekends away...

3. Did you quickly become too busy or was there time to slowly build it up? there are busy times & slow times- people do not tend to sew alot in the summer months- thats when i have time to work on my own projects- i don't allow myself to get 'too busy' if i have 2 customer quilts in the house & someone calls i let them know when i will be ready to accept another- if they are in a rush and do not want to wait i refer them to someone else who may be able to get them done sooner. i don't feel threatened by 'sharing' the work with someone else who has more time than i may.

4. Do you feel pressure to work longer and harder than you want because of backlog? no...i don't put myself into a backlog type of situation. i've known too many who allowed their (business) get away from them-out of control- & within 6 months given up- sold their stuff & don't even make quilts anymore- because it was too stressful for them- i keep it in my control.

5. Is the tax accounting a real pain? i keep good records- and my CPA has not had any issues...

6. Do you use a computer program to keep your information? no- (i keep copies of my pricing/policies/receipts ect on the computer) but i fill out a form for each quilt that comes in - by hand- with all the information i need- customer information, quilt information- pricing ect...when the quilt is finished the customer gets a receipt and the form is filed...i also keep a file for all expenses, postage ect.

7. How long did it take before you were making money over and above your expenses? it took me about 2 1/2 years to have covered the price of my machine set up. now my expenses are- thread, batting, and maintenance/repairs.

i have always still worked a full time job outside my home- i tend to be very busy january through April- then it tapers off thru the summer- then picks up again in September. I stop taking customer work by November 15 (except under special circumstances) so i can work on my own holiday/family projects. this past year has been busier than previous ones-and i have commited to spending more time then i used to- working toward not having to work outside the home.