Old 12-01-2012, 01:56 PM
Tttdoc

Originally Posted by dunster View Post
Absolutely, it can be done with a ruler, but it's more time consuming than free hand work, and so it costs more. And if the ditches aren't straight, it takes even more time to stay in them. Add to that the fact that the top needs to be well pressed with the seam allowances going in a consistent direction.
In response to "dunster" replying to "tttdoc": I didn't say they it didn't take more time, only that it can be done (and done well) if you are practiced and good with rulers. If a longarmer is going to offer SID then they should charge appropriately for their time but the customer should also expect to receive quality SID in return their money. If a quilt is not a good candidate for SID (ditches are not straight or seams were not alternated to allow for a flat quilt top) then the longarmer may be best served by not agreeing to do it. I routinely SID with my Gammill Vision 22-10 but all my work is custom so I spend a good deal of time keeping my practice up (no pantos and no Statler Stitcher).