Old 12-02-2012, 08:49 AM
MargeD
Power Poster

I feel that I am blessed that I can make something that gives others comfort and pleasure, from a baby quilt to a king-bed quilt. When my son was in grade school (I think, can't remember that far back) I made him a bright blue and black Irish chain quilt. When he moved out the quilt went with him, then when a relationship failed, he came home and the quilt came with him, he wouldn't leave it with "her". I don't know about you, but I have "boomerang" kids, they kept coming back. LOL. The very first quilt I made was for my daughter, she picked out the pattern and the fabric. it is the only quilt that I hand quilted - carpal tunnel dictated that I learn to machine quilt, and she is now considering giving it to our darling GD Zoe, since she cannot have children. Our DD is going through a very tough time now,2 accidents within a month of each other, whiplash, bulging disks in her neck, losing time off from work and now they are threatening to terminate her employment because she was had to take time off because of her fairly severe injuries. The last time I talked to her we talked about the one-patch quilt she made in her Sr. year of HS when she was home with chicken pox - somehow she escaped getting it when her brother had it in grade school and how she was curled up with it while we were talking. She had insisted on each square being different, a scrap from doll clothes I made her, clothes I made for her, etc. I did finish quilting it shortly after she started college. Maybe I shouldn't have told her that when I machine quilted it I found 2 fabrics alike, but she had never figured it out. She's now 35, so the quilt has been around a long time, but she still finds comfort in it. Love, comfort and more are what I give when I make a quilt as a gift, it's a great feeling to know that.