View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 04:20 PM
Dogwood Quilter

quiltinmom, I just checked to see if Craftsy had any classes and they don't. There are some youtube videos on machine quilting. I didn't take time to watch any to see if they would be of help. Embroidery thread comes in rayon or polyester. They are considered 40wt thread but have a nice shine to them. There is also a 12wt cotton thread that makes a heavy dense design. Unless you need the design to show on both sides a bobbin thread which is much thinner is used. Pre-filled bobbins are nice to use. Depending on the size of your pattern you will use 1 or maybe 2 bobbins. You will learn which stabilizer to use. Some projects use cut away, some use tear away and like quiltnut4ever said water soluble on things like terry towels. Some projects might require 2 layers of stabilizer or stabilizer on both sides. What size hoops did you get with your machine? I ordered my first thread off the internet. It was called FUFU and I really like it but I think they got bought out by another company. I have ordered from this place. http://metroemb.com/store/index.php?...ory&path=20_27
I hardly ever hoop my projects. I hoop the stablelizer and use temporary spray adhesive and position the project.
Good luck, have fun with your new machine. I've had my machine for awhile so there may be some better ways of doing things than how I was taught.