Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 AM
QM
Power Poster

Everyone is gaining on me. This thread is growing faster than I can read!!!
1.Someone mentioned a magnetic dish. Mine are "mechanic's parts dishes" from Harbor freight. The come in a number of sizes. I keep them on the window sill behind my computer. I throw pins in their direction and they attach nicely. I also use one for my metal bobbins.
2. magnet on a telescopiong stick. My current on is from Jhittle.
3. I also cut scraps to standard sizes and use them as leaders and followers for string piecing as Janet Leigh suggested then I have premade 4 patches for scrappy quilts
4. I cut a slit in a plastic corn starch container. I put 'dead' sharp objects into it as I go, then put tape over it when I toss it.
5. binder climps are great. I use a row of them on a molding strip over my closet door to hang up quilts for picture taking.
6. I keep getting magnetic ads (bus cards). I put one into an altoids box for a portable pin/needle container for take alongs.
7. I had that stopping problems and was sure my foot control had gone bad. It was actually just lint. I did not know you need to clean out the foot pedal when you do a major machine cleaning.
8. change rotary cutters and needles regularly. I went to a retreat with my guild. The cutter I borrowed (out of laziness) was super dull. When I went back to my stuff to get a new blade for it, I found it was RUSTY inside. I changed blades and oiled it. I find that my guild sisters are really bad about getting rid of dull stuff. Those really slow you down and mess up your work.

Last edited by QM; 12-03-2012 at 03:18 AM.