View Single Post
Old 12-03-2012, 08:23 AM
J Miller

Default How do I expidite a decision ??????

OK, here's a bit of my personality trait; when I get into a hobby, or collecting things, I start buying each different kind and model that interests me. I use it for a while then set it aside and get another one that's different and do the same thing over again. I've done that with cars and trucks, firearms, fountain pens, and now I'm doing it with sewing machines.

I love to tinker with and refurbish them, but eventually, sooner than later I hope, I'm going to have to start selling some of them.

I need to decide what machines ( that's plural ) I will keep, so I can move on to re-homing the rest.

So far I have several that will never be sold, traded or parted with. My HOTHER ( my avatar pic) is one of those. It was my mom's machine for many many years. I use it quite a bit and it's kind of a connection to her. I lost her back on '01.
There are a couple others as well, my #1 Singer treadle, a 66-4 was a gift from my late cousin. And my Free Long Bobbin Rotary will stay too.

But other than using them one at a time until I really get it figured out, is there a way to expedite the decision making process?
I know what I want to do, but which machine I will settle on is the hard part.
I want a ZZ machine with the capability of decorative stitches. Removable or built in cams doesn't matter. The one big criteria is the machine cannot have any plastic gears. That is chiseled in granite. It also has to have a large arch such as the Singer 66 or 201 or similar, if possible. Singer, Kenmore, or a Japanese maker is OK too. I kind of lean towards the Japanese machines as they are typically quieter than the corresponding vintage Singers.

But .......................... ????? This is giving me a headache. Any suggestions?

Joe