Old 12-03-2012, 11:06 PM
margecam52

Default SID on longarm

It's not super difficult...I have a TL18LS & do a lot of SID
Several things can affect the straightness of SID...one major one is the seams themselves, how they meet at the corners & if they are pressed in the same direction. If the four corners of blocks are not pressed properly, they can be real thick and that can throw the LA person off... so can seams that are pressed in more than one direction..usually done to make the corners match up. Makes lining up the seams easy, but not SID...which you are supposed to follow the low side of the seam... Paperpieced quilts cause issues also. If a LA quilter does ruler work, and the seams aren't straight to start with, then you will probably see some threads not staying in the ditch.
Marge

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
So, another question to help me understand what to expect when using LA services. Is it really hard for LA's to stay in the ditch when doing SID?? I am asking because my LA did some SID and didn't stay in the ditch for more than a few inches at a time and the "out of the ditch" stitches are more than a hair or two out of the ditch. Really, not much care was used. I suppose this is expected to keep costs down?? I did some SID on my own machine last winter and I know it is really hard and just takes a lot of slow, slow sewing. Using a LA, I imagine it is a bit different. Just wondering.