Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM
Weenween

Originally Posted by kimv44 View Post
Well.. after over a decade of quilting and thinking that I was an extremely careful cutter, the inevitable finally happened..

Had a family birthday event last night and after being at the babysitter's house til almost midnight, my 6 year old was happily sleeping late this morning so I decided to take advantage of a few extra quiet hours to get ahead on some of my Christmas quilting.

Got out my fabric and a fresh rotary cutting wheel and [i'll save you all the gory details] BLAMMO!!!... wheel slid up the side of my ruler and right into my left index finger. OUCH!! Typing this tonight is the first time I've had it held lower than my heart all day.. it is extremely painful and I never ever want to do that again!!!

So my husband, to make lemonade out of lemons, sees this as a great opportunity to buy me a quilting gadget that I don't already have for Christmas this year.. a Klutz glove. I have extremely short fingers so before he buys one and wraps it up for me he would like to know that they'll be useful for me and not simply get in the way. Yes, I know sounds odd to already know what will be under the tree.. but.. times are extremely tight for us this year so we're both making our gifts to each other necessity items like socks and a bathrobe.. and since I already have pajamas, today's incident seems to scream necessity to me so I've asked him for a cut resistant glove.

Do you all use these? Anyone with really small hands use them and find them useful? I was also thinking of some of those index finger and thumb guards that only cover those two fingers, but they don't look like they'd say on very well..

Thoughts?
Thanks!
Kim
I agree things are tight,I would have something I need ,even if I know what it is.Than something sitting around collecting dust.I am truly sorry you hurt your self.I sure hope it heals fast.thanks for sharing.