View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 06:17 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by DanofNJ View Post
Joe, you are asking a most perplexing and difficult question. If you must scale back, do away with the blemished machines vis a vis sell them and keep the museum quality ones for display and enjoyment. The "noisier" vintage machines are far better than the knock offs IMOA. I agree that harp length is important, but history is important too. I'm actually focusing on the very old ones now which was always my intent in collecting. Good luck with your decision.
Dan,
Well we don't agree on this issue. I'm not running a museum. And 99% of my machines are no where near museum quality. I do not get any enjoyment from displaying them. Like everything else those I keep have to be useable. And I do like the ugly ones, they have character and usually a story behind them. Like Minerva, and Mini, and Rusty and some of the others.

I will sell what I can get rid of eventually. But those I keep will be for our use, not just pretty window dressing.

Originally Posted by miriam
Joe you did answer your own question. Keep those, get rid of the rest and get some more machines to work on - you will know it when you get it. I keep a clone for messing with - then some time along the way, I sell it. I keep a Singer 403 and my Singer 401g, an Elna and now I have a Phoenix. I also keep a clone for my DGD because it is from the lady she was named for. The rest are for sale - I seriously need to get some gone.
Yeah, I guess I have.

Joe