View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 07:19 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

When I look at this wallhanging the absolute STAR is the peicing. So I really think you should so some SID to really make certain elements pop and to stabalize the quilt for some fun FMQ. I think some preliminary SID just makes your finished product look better and helps to emphasize all the obvious hard work you put in the piecing.

If this top came to me for quilting I would definitely SID around the FG in the border and the NYBeauty star points and quarter circle centers. I would also SID around the baskets and just the portion of the pineapple blocks that makes that zigzag element between the brights and the lighter value background. Your squares in a square blocks in the center you could pick one of the many triangle elements in each of them and do a feather spray, kind of like what I did on this quilt in the background of the star triangles here (sorry it is a bit blurry but I think you will get the idea)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380038[/ATTACH]

Once a fill like that is positioned in those blocks you could do a complimentary design in another portion. For example, I would do the feather spray in the background of those blocks, where two different colors meet to form the triangle. The on point portion of the block I would leave unquilted then do a little floral motif in the center square.
I would do a dense background fill behind those NYB blocks. Pebbling would look awesome or radiating lines coming out from behind the star that could be straight or squiggly. I think if it were mine I would opt for pebbling and carry that up into the background of the baskets as well.

I would not SID the kaliedescope blocks but do a circular motif to fill in the area. Maybe duplicate the floral used in the Squares in squares.

Enough ideas for you?
Attached Thumbnails feathersprays.jpg