View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 08:57 AM
mpspeedy2

Hi, I purchased my first embroidery machine at least 20 years ago. It was a Bernina Deco. With my employee discount it cost me at least $1800 at the time. Over the years I have purchased at least another $2000 worth of additional software for it and then a Magic Box so I could load additional designs onto a card that could be used in the machine. That Bernina was made from a Brother patent. When I upgraded my home computer several years ago there was no place to plug in the Magic Box. I ended up purchasing a Brother PE 780D so that I could still use the many design cards I had spent so much money for. The Brother machine also uses a USB stick. The Bernina machine was only a 4 inch field the newer Brother machine uses the 4 inch and a 5 by 7. What ircks me is that the newer machine are set up to hold the hoop on he opposite side and even the hoop fasteners are upside down compared to the Bernina. That guarentees that the additional hoops etc. that I purchased for the first machine won't fit the Brother.
Over the years I have done a boatload of embroidery on clothing, decorative items and linens. I have a large chest and more often than not food ends up landing there. The majority of my tops have embroidery on the front to hide the stains that just won't come out. My family always gets something with embroidery on it at Christmas time. I have made a bedsize quilt with something embroidered in every block. Over the years I have spent a of money on thread and stabilizers etc. I have learned that you can use a papertowel or even a used dryer sheet as a stabilizer. The machine will also work with ordinary sewing thread. I am not sorry I purchased either machine. I need to get busy and embroider some t shirts I got on a clearance for my granddaughters for Christmas.
The Brother machine cost me about $800.