View Single Post
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM
feline fanatic
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nygal View Post
Thank you SO much. That is the kind of advice I am looking for!! Now what do you think of me using the multi color thread for the SID etc??
I would opt for a light colored neutral for your SID and background quilting. I would go for a lightweight thread that will sink in and become invisible for the SID. You really only want to SID to get your beautiful points and piecing to pop. Note the pic I posted above I SID around all the star points and you can see how it really helps define the piecing (doubled batting doesn't hurt in that respect either! gives awesome "poof" factor).

For background fill behind the NYB blocks, I envision some pretty dense quilting so again, I would go with a neutral that matches your background color there as well. I think on a quilt like this you want thread that blends in. Remember your piecing is the star. You don't want your thread or your quilting to be jumping out saying look at me, look at me! Even if it is the best quilting you ever did. You want to compliment what you have done not overpower it. So I would stick with neutral light colored thread and a lighter weight (like a 50 or 60 wt) that blends in with your background fabrics and doesn't detract from your beautiful batiks.