Old 12-04-2012, 11:49 AM
Lynnie25

Originally Posted by dabbler312 View Post
Lefse is a scandanavian - it's flat like a tortilla - it's made with potatoes, real butter, heavy whipping cream, pinch of salt and flour. It's rolled paper thin on a special board with a special lefse rolling pin; it's picked up with a turning stick and gently placed on a hot lefse griddle; once it starts to bubble and turn a little brown you use your turning stick to flip it and when it's done it's stacked/layered between old table cloths/sheets/cotton dish towels to cool down. Once it's cooled you put butter on it, sprinkle with sugar or brown sugar and roll up and eat. Some like to eat with Lutifisk - it's very popular in our area as many of our scandanavian ansestors settled in this area. The lutheran churches around this area have Lutifisk suppers. If you google it you will probably get a better description. They sell it for $15-18 per dozen. I make it and donate it - if I sold it - it would seem to much like work and no longer fun to make. It's very tedious and time consuming to make.
Thank goodness I have an aversion to my kitchen.. that sounds like way too much time but they do sound nice enough to eat when done. But peeling all those potatoes... heck, I could sew a dolls quilt in the same time as it takes me to peel that many spuds !