Old 12-05-2012, 04:44 AM
dray965

Default 3 Questions about my quilt and reverse applique

I am making my grandson a quilt for Christmas. He has requested a quilt which has his favorite university team's letters on it as well as its mascot. The University is Texas Christian University and its mascot is a horned toad. (I'm including a pic of the quilt and another of the horned toad I wish to applique.)

I have three questions. 1) any suggestions concerning placement of the toad on the quilt? Front/back? large/small? etc...

2) I'm thinking of reverse applique for the toad. The University colors are Purple and white. Looking at the toad pic, I'm thinking of doing the white portions in a second color....and in reverse applique. Of course, I could do it as a layered applique, instead?? Which would you do for the best look?

and 3) If I reverse applique...what do I do about the raw edges? I don't like the look of just leaving the edges raw...but if the design is too small, wouldn't it be difficult to turn under the edges for stitching...or too small for machine satin-stitching them?

My head is spinning and hope some of you have applique suggestions for me. I have attached the pics. (sorry they are so big...I don't know how to make them smaller).

Thanks in advance,
Dray - SE Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails horned-toad.jpg   tylers-quilt.jpg