View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 06:59 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by Kittywolf13 View Post
Really? Cool! I should give it a whirl. The thread on the bobbins must be old and brittle though they with stood a tug. Feel bad unwinding them but better to test with proper fresh thread.
My wife found a box of sewing supplies last night she didn't even remember where they came from. When we remembered it was a bitter sweet find. The stuff was from an older lady that lived across the street from us in Phoenix. She died probably around 89 or so and my wife got this stuff from her estate sale.

In it was a bunch of thread in wooden spools and one Class 66 bobbin. I didn't give it a second thought, I pealed all three layers of thread off the bobbin. So many people layer threads on their bobbins it's not even funny. After a while the bottom layers gets crushed in and you can't unwind them, you have to cut the thread out. Then there is the rust. I've lost count of how many bobbins I've tossed in the Evapo-Rust because the old bottom layer of thread had been there sooooooo very long and absorbed moisture and rusted the bobbin.

So with no feelings of guilt or wasting thread I empty all bobbins that come with older machines or that I find from other places.
Much easier to put new thread on a bobbin than to fight with one that's been filled since Herbert Hoover was president.

Joe