Old 12-05-2012, 07:46 AM
RJ

Originally Posted by Belfrybat View Post
I tried to do a search but got way too many hits, so thought I'd start a new thread. If there is an existing thread, would you point me to it? I just acquired a Brother PQ1500s machine for a song and a dance ($150.00) and wondered if anyone has one and would like to chat about it. I got it from a person who had purchased it at auction so she knew nothing about the machine. It appears to have all the accessories and was packed in the original box. I haven't even threaded mine yet, but was surprised that the needle is turned to the side like the vintage machines -- haven't seen that in 35 years or more. The instruction book is woefully inadequate from a quilting standpoint. So... before I start the engines, does anyone have any hints or advice on the machine? I plan to oil the machine and set it up this afternoon.

Two questions right off the bat. I couldn't find any info on bobbin type in the instructions and the official Brother bobbins are over $1.00 each on Amazon. Are there generic bobbins available that are cheaper? Also the instructions state to only use feet the came with the machine due to the pin feed. Is there a 1/4" quilting foot with a guide that is made for this machine? I much prefer to use one with the guide. Thanks in advance for any pointers you might have.

I have a Brother 1500 that I have had for about 8 years.....It is my "go-to" work horse---use it for all my piecing--used to have it on a hinterberg frame and machine quilted with it.....it is a wonderful no frill machine---no electronics
to go out.....you can manually adjust tension if needed---needle threads from the side as that is where the needle threader is. The walking foot that comes with it is the best I have ever used...easy to clean---easy to maintain--I have
sewed thru thick jeans and even leather. You will love this machine.

If you have ever had trouble with your machine grabbing the leading edge of fabric when starting a seam and going down into the hole----you will not have that problem with this one