View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 07:32 PM
akmnj

Kitty 63, I was born and raised in Alaska and still live here. Your best bet for seeing the Aurora is in Fairbanks. Look at Chena Hot Springs. They have cabins, hot springs and other things. It can be pricey to stay there, but hear it is well worth it and your chances of seeing the Aurora are higher. You won't see them in a city because of the lights. You will want to wear warm clothing and boots. Layer your clothing and you will stay warmer. When we recreate outside we wear long underwear and dress in layers. Alaska is beautiful and each season offers something different. You will NOT see bears in the winter as they are hibernating. You have a high possibility of seeing moose. Our winter has been very unusual with lots of subzero weather. We live north of Wasilla and usually have a lot of snow by now and only have a couple inches on the ground. As for quilt shops, there are a number of them around the state. Someone mentioned the one in Skagway. It is very nice but I doubt you will be going there. It's not the "tourist season" there. You can find some very nice fabric in Talkeetna, Wasilla, Seward and Anchorage. I'm sure there are a number of shops in Fairbanks also. Quilters are everywhere. I hope you enjoy your trip.