Thread: My first quilt!
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 10:14 PM
richardsonjl

Talking My first quilt!

Well, I did it! I finished my first quilt. I did it as part of my senior project/exhibit and managed to finish it in just about 3 months exactly. Not sure if that's fast or slow but I sure worked my butt off! I used the "Antique Civil War Star" from this link: http://www.fonsandporter.com/content...lt-pattern.pdf

I machine pieced as well as machine quilted. I really wanted to hand quilt but that just wasn't in the cards this time! Maybe my next one . My piecing is nowhere close to perfect (I know, I know...we see our mistakes more glaringly!), but I managed to keep MOST of my points. My quilting could use some help in terms of keeping my stitch length consistent. I learned so much by just diving in head first and being stubborn enough to try things I was told might be too hard my first time around! As you can tell, all my blocks are very different, some blended, some a clear star, etc. etc. I really tried to play around with my use of fabrics and I learned how doing so creates different shapes.

BUT with all that aside I love it so much. There is so much meaning in it to me; I had a really hard first half of the semester and having something to work on and keep me busy/clear my head is what kept me going. Things are great now, AND I have this wonderful quilt as a prize! I am so proud of myself!
*I'd like to thank Diet Coke, Netflix, & my mother for making this all possible...* hahaha!

Now for the real reason y'all are here: PICTURES!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380450[/ATTACH]

sandwiching and spray basting (The coloring in this photo is truest to real life)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380451[/ATTACH]

the backing (Love this as ALMOST much as the front.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380452[/ATTACH]

Pinned it up while trying to decide how to display it in the gallery.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]380453[/ATTACH]

In the gallery! (With the other half of my project - calligraphy!)

And last but not least...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]380454[/ATTACH]
...thoroughly enjoying the fruits of my labor!

I am hoping to get some better pics soon as the lighting in all these isn't that great but there you have it!
Attached Thumbnails img_0004.jpg.jpeg   img_0007.jpg.jpeg   img_0011.jpg.jpeg   img_0013.jpg.jpeg   img_0019.jpg.jpeg