Thread: Pfaff 230
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:02 AM
J Miller

Originally Posted by cricket_iscute View Post
I hear good things about the Pfaff 230 and I hear things like what is above. It's a decent machine, but fussy.

I have a Pfaff 130. A super machine, even though he is on my meching bench now because I tried to do bobbin work with him and he didn't like it. Should be a quick fix. Pfaffs, especially of that era, are very intolerant of any stray thread or lint in the bobbin area. And they are fussy. But once you understand their idiosyncrasies, they are great machines. (That said, they are so fussy that I would not buy another.)

If you are mechanically inclined and patient, and bearing in mind the warnings above especially about parts and the belt, go for it! Pfaff destroyed all extra parts some time ago and parts are very difficult and expensive to find.

Cricket

You are hesitating to pay $37 for that machine? It is most likely worth two or three hundred - at least in this part of the country!

There could be any number of things going on so that the needle doesn't go up and down. It could be frozen. That is not a problem for an experienced sewing machine mechanic. We see that all the time. Following instructions, you might be able to do the work yourself. (Hint: NO WD40! NO 3 in 1 oil!!! Nothing but sewing machine oil and grease or Tri-flow oil and grease on any sewing machine. Tri-flow is superior. Try Tri-flow oil and a blow dryer.)

Cricket
Yes, I am not only hesitating, but I'm not going to put any more bids on it. It may be worth more than $37.00 to you, but another project with unknown problems isn't something I want right now. If you think so much of it, why don't you bid on it?

Your own comments following the cautions of the other posters before you should be a clue why I don't want to deal with it.

Joe