View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 10:59 AM
Cagey

Default This quilt broke my heart!

A few months ago a woman in our community asked me to make a quilt from her grown children's baby cloths. She wanted to give it to her mother for Christmas. So I've been working every free moment on this quilt to get it done for her by Christmas. It was very difficult for me to cut up these beautiful dresses and little suits but I did it. Used embellishments on it - buttons and lace from the dresses and suits. I got the top done and was waiting for the backing fabric that she wanted to pick out. She brought the fabric and another baby blanket she wanted me to add to the quilt. When I told her the top was done she broke down and said it was from her first son that passed away 22 years ago and she has slept with that blanket under her pillow. She said it was very important to add this to the quilt so I told her I would make a separate block on the back. Getting up the nerve to cut that blanket was hard - emotionally. I reinforced the cutting edge and zigzagged so the rest of the blanket wouldn't unravel. Never knew making the quilt was going to be so emotional.