View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 02:33 PM
AlienQuilter

Joann's has it on sale at 50 percent off today through Sunday. Just bought 5 yards of it.

The lady cutting it asked what I was going to do with it and I said "back a quilt with it!" Then I told them about spray basting. Since you are going to a long arm quilter with it you need to ask her/him about what they require in the way of preparation.

I have made minkee backed quilts with batting, without batting and using flannel for batting. My favorite so far is using flannel as batting. I wash/dry, wash/dry it to make it shrink as much as possible.

Minkee wears very well, better than any other backing fabric I have used.

Some don't like it because it shifts on them when quilting. I have always used the spray basting on it and it never has shifted on me.

It comes in such nice colors these days. It seems like when it first came out it was only in "baby colors" (pastels). The minkee I bought today is a solid black. I'm using it to back a Dragon quilt which is mainly black, gray, white and some red.

It is cuddly - my son sleeps with his every night and I made it for him 5 1/2 years ago for his birthday.