Thread: My goofy job
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2009, 01:18 PM
Harmony

I'm a freelance court reporter, and most of my days are pretty boring--depos about people falling down at work, depos of doctors testifying about people falling down at work. But sometimes it does get more interesting, and this has been a pretty good week.

Yesterday I did a hearing for the Dept. of Alcoholic Beverage Control. They had complaints about the behavior of the girls at a particular bar near the airport, so they sent some investigators in to check it out. We spent the whole day hearing one of the investigators testify about lap dances in excruciating detail. I now know way more than I ever wanted to know about that subject!

Today was better. I work in the L.A. area, so we occasionally come across celebrities with legal matters to take care of. Today I took the deposition of James Worthy, formerly of the L.A. Lakers, who is considered one of the best basketball players ever. I'm sure I was chosen to take this depo because of my total lack of interest in sports. The attorneys were all agog about this guy, taking pictures, asking for autographs; one even brought a basketball for him to sign for her son, who is in Iraq. Mr. Worthy was very gracious about all these requests. I was very impressed by him. I wonder if he can ever go anywhere without having to sign autographs and take pictures! I thought he was kind of a sweetie.