Thread: Ar-r-r-g
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 06:15 PM
peggymunday

I love the machine I use the most, my old Brother Pacesetter 1250. Never thought I'd say that, as I used to be a diehard Singer fan. But I found this machine at a yard sale for $10 with a nice plastic case (case was worth more than that!) and it needed a power cord/foot pedal and a bobbin cover plate. Hmm, it might not even run...but it turned well and looked like new. Why not? Well, I'm also a diehard bargain shopper, and offered $5 just in case it didn't work, and she said YES! Wow, what a deal! I took it to my local parts/repair shop and he had a cord he let me have for FREE! Turns out the only one he had was one he had to splice and he wouldn't charge me for it, no danger - he just didn't think it was right to charge me. And the plastic replacement cover for the bobbin space was only $4. I bought a bag of bobbins for $6 (partly cause I felt a little guilty getting a working machine for so cheap, lol) which meant a perfectly working machine for about $10 total. Wait, there's more - the absolute best part is I have learned how to set the timing when I do knock it out of time. That's the reason I own 23 assorted machines in various states of disrepair - to learn how to work on them. I try not to be so hard on it, but occasionally my projects can be a little, ahem, difficult.... But the first time it happened I really didn't have a lot to lose, so why not try and fix it. I now can fix it in just a few minutes with a few turns of the allen wrench. Love this machine and the ease in fixing it.