View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 03:54 AM
ruby2shoes

Default Total newbie needing advice

Okay, here goes...I'm a newbie...not sure if this is the right spot for this thread.....can you tell I'm blushing madly already???
So I used to do hand quilting years ago and now I'm having fun trying to do machine quilting and free motion stitching. Only problem is that my machine is a 25 year old Janome. Now, using the walking foot and doing straight stitching on my practice quilts is just fine but oh dear, I am in a world of pain with my darning foot and trying to do free motion stuff. For some reason I just can't stop getting needle thread showing through on my backing no matter how I change my tension and presser foot pressure. I know a lot of my problem is "me" as a newbie but, is it possible that my little old machine is not helping me all that much? Am I solely to blame? What would be a good entry level machine for me to purchase to continue doing free motion stitching? So far I haven't minded mucking up my practice quilts but now I am keen to "do' a lovely big quilt and I want to "get it right". It's tricky getting myself to any classes as I work yucky hours so am basically "winging it" with the help of internet tutorials. Any advice would be great and please accept my apology if I have posted in the wrong spot or sound like a real newbie twit