Thread: Frustrating Day
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:13 PM
Silver Needle

Angry Frustrating Day

I attended our monthly sewing get together and took one of the featherweights we are refurbishing to show the "girls". DH had said this one was ready to use ... And let them try it out. I take it out of its box and set it on the table and it wobbled. Sure enough it needed all new feet. Then I sat down to sew. The tension was terrible! I took the bobbin out and the thread just spun out of it. Tried tightening the screws - no luck! We all determined I would need to take out the screws and bend the spring a little more. Take out the screws and promptly drop one on the floor. Carpet of course and you would not believe how little those things are. Friend crawls under the table and finds screw! Find rust and old thread under spring so I start to put it back together. But alas this was not the solution to the problem. So I start taking it apart again. Screw drops out of bobbin case; hits table and flies who knows where. Another friend speaks up and says I've heard when working with small screws its good to work inside a plastic bag. Then if you drop the screw it's in the bag. Now she tells me!!! Another friend who has absolutely everything imaginable in her travel sewing bag whips out a tiny telescoping magnet. After 20 minutes of sweeping the carpet with it I come up with the screw. I give a little more bend to the spring, borrow a Baggie from another friend and finally get the bobbin case together. Now it is simply a case of adjusting the bobbin case screws and the top tension, which took another 20 min or so. I didn't get much sewing done but I did get reminded what a great bunch of women these are. And I will NEVER leave home to sew without a Baggie and a little telescoping magnetic wand.