View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM
Shelbie

The white ones were the last Featherweights made by Singer in the 1960's. My daughter's machine has the original sales bill for hers dated August 1963. By this time Featherweights were becoming expensive to manufacture and the company was trying to cut costs. There were no more chrome face plates, now they were just painted metal and part of the machine. The chrome stitch selector was replaced with a plastic one and the machine cords were directly wired into the machine making the foot pedal permanently attached. The flip up bed was shortened and the case became more square . It was now a two tone aqua, brown tan (mostly for tan models) or in Canada a vinyl grey or turquoise smallish looking suitcase with a buckle on a strap. I saw one of the last new white Featherweights sold in the Singer store that I worked in as a teenager in the fall of 1970. It had been an unsold machine at another store that was closing and my boss bought it in a job lot. The attachments for these machines were just packed in a small cardboard Singer box as there was no attachment tray in these stripped down plain cases. The belt on these machines is a brownish notched one instead of the more familiar looking smooth black ones that were used on the older models of Featherweights. I hope you enjoy your machine.