Old 12-08-2012, 05:57 PM
AngelinaMaria

Default How Can You Tell Flannel from Regular Cotton Fabric?? Is it hard sometimes?

I know this sounds like a crazy question. I purchased a bundle of scrap fabrics from the Riley Blake Sugar & Spice line and while I was taking each piece of fabric out of the package, I noticed on only a subliminal level that the green argyle print was so soft--I actually stroked it a few times before moving to the next fabric. After I had all the fabrics out I realized that the green argyle one seemed "dull" in finish compared to the other and then it hit me that it must be flannel. It is slightly fuzzy and doesn't have the sheen that the other fabrics have.

I couldn't find any markings on the selvage to indicate one way or another. I let the seller know that I received one piece of flannel and wouldn't be able to use it in my project and if she could swap it out for a regular cotton piece. She sent a note back that said that she didn't carry ANY flannel so it couldn't be so. I still feel like it probably is flannel (and I know from research that this line came in flannel as well as regular). One more message back to her and she was quite insistent and was obviously not going to do anything about it (I just asked her if she still had some left in her shop if she could see if it felt fuzzy?). I am not 100% certain but I really want to know.

So, if you have any of this fabric (Riley Blake Sugar & Spice--the green argyle specifically--is it a bit fuzzy and "dull" in finish and doesn't seem to match any of the other fabrics in the line in feel?? I told the seller that I would probably take it in to my LQS and have them take a look just so I could settle my curiosity but haven't had a chance to do this yet (the seller didn't respond back after the second time--she just thinks I am crazy and doesn't want to deal with it). I just want to know.