View Single Post
Old 12-08-2012, 07:30 PM
VickiM

As I LOVE doing things with scraps...& they are abundant at my house!...this will be a good thread to join. I have more fun figuring out what I can do with scraps than I do with my extremely large stash!!! As a crafter that does craftshows, I'm always coming up with things to make for the booth that uses scraps. I am a "one of a kind" crafter, so never 2 exactly alike anyway...so scraps are right up my alley! Here's something I started making yesterday...use 24-2" squares for front (I used 4 each of 6 different fabrics--all small partial strips that I got 4 squares each out of), 1- 6 1/2"x9 1/2" scrap for back, 2- 6 1/2"x9 1/2" scraps of muslin for inside lining (1st I used a gluestick to glue a piece of lightweight vinyl to them--same size--...let it dry...then treat it as one fabric), a 9" or longer zipper, fabric or ribbon for the handle (12" long...to be folded in 1/2 & placed 1 1/2" down from top before sewing all together). I am very used to sewing on vinyl, but if you're not, here are a couple hints for doing it...use a plastic foot (not metal as it sticks), foot pressure to 1 (3 is for normal sewing), a little pulling GENTLY while feeding while sewing, pinning is done in seam allowance, & gluestick comes in real handy. I usually serge my seams, but not when using vinyl (sticks really bad) so just zigzag edges for finished edges (making sure zag goes to edge to enclose any fabric ravillies. Turn & enjoy!

Pics are of front & back...
Attached Thumbnails scrap-cosmetic-case-front.jpg   scrap-cosmetic-case-back.jpg