View Single Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:37 PM
ruby2shoes

Thanks everyone. Yes, I always use a new needle for most garment projects and did same when doing the quilting. I used a 90/14 with 100% cotton: same spool for needle and bobbin. I did the jiggly thing with the bobbin and it didn't move at all so I loosened the screw titch by titch until I had the bobbin dropping just an inch or so. Made quite a difference when I sewed some practice swatches (just material pieces, no batting)...much happier with the stitches. I then did as you suggested and "went up and down" my needle tension dial and found the spot where I was most happy with the result. Then, I put my presser foot pressure back to its normal setting. Next, I made some practice swatches with some leftover batting, on with the darning foot and down with the dogs and off I went......
Practice swatches weren't too bad for a beginner...quite happy with them. So now that I have the Janome back to "normal" I figure any further problems I have are going to be "me" not the machine. I'm thinking that perhaps I should buy a really cheap poly filled quilt from Kmart or such and practice FMQ on that? That way I'm getting used to moving bulk and weight around?? This could be the last piece in the puzzle??
And no, I wouldn't buy a new machine just for FM stuff......just thought I would spoil myself next time my better half buys another motorbike!!

Last edited by ruby2shoes; 12-09-2012 at 12:39 PM. Reason: spelling