View Single Post
Old 12-10-2012, 08:49 AM
Cathou

Default Piet Mondrian's Broadway Boogie Woogie

When I saw that painting in a book, I had a light bulb moment! Wow, that would be such a challenge to translate it into a quilt. I just finished my EQ7 advanced layout course with Fran Gonzalez at Quilt University and was up for the challenge. With the poster 25X25 of the real thing, I designed it by multiplying the patches by 2 since the painting itself is 50X50. I ended up with 48 blocks. I cannot envision making this quilt without that software. I had so much fun while doing it. Then, I did the cutting block by block. I put every pieces for one block in a file folder. Assembled all the blocks and sewed them in rows. I quilted in the ditch all the white patches. My question is now, what about the patches that are too big not to be more quilted. I have 5 or 6 white pieces that are very big, I'm afraid the batting will migrate. It's a thin 100% cotton. It's a wall hanging and I don't think I'll ever wash it. Probably vacuum it once in a while. What do you think? One more thing: I now have in my bucket list "Go to the MOMA" to see the real painting.
Attached Thumbnails ccherrier_finishedquilt.jpg  

Last edited by Cathou; 12-10-2012 at 08:52 AM.