View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 08:45 AM
BoJangles

Originally Posted by Muv View Post
Nancy - Fab quilt -it's massive! But I'll make sure I steer clear of Stonehenge fabrics. I can't bear fraying. Well done for finishing.

Monica, How do you manage to get so many quilts done? I love the way you photograph them over the hammock, and no, I'm not jealous of you sunshine.

Here's a doll quilt I did for the November swap, pieced on my 1897 28K and quilted and bound on my 1927 99K - both hand machines. A little friend called Lily, who is 9, picked out the colours for the chequerboard for me. I gave her a pile of twelve dark and twelve light fat quarters and asked her to choose five of each. Then I asked her to decide which order to put the strips in. She loved seeing how to turn the strips into squares.
Muv, I love the little quilt! Lily did a great job picking the colors! It is fun when we get little ones involved with the process of making a quilt! Hopefully, Lily will become a quilter too!

I wouldn't worry too much about Stonehenge as long as you are aware it is stretchy and it frays really bad. Stonehenge has some fantastic colors! Our instructor wouldn't even show her quilt once it was quilted because it was so wonky due to the stretchy fabric. Also, some of her seams had frayed all the way to the seam line from handling the quilt so much while demonstrating with it - before she quilted it. I wouldn't be afraid of using it again - it is a beautiful fabric! You guys will know what to expect so you will be able to fix the problems as you go - lots of Fray Check - and stay stitching!

Nancy