Old 10-22-2009, 10:53 AM
Quiltgranny

Hi Everyone,

I'm struggling to come up with the right size sewing table (on the cheap) and/or configuration for two smaller tables - in a smallish sewing room that's about 10 x 11. I have two sewing tables in here now, one is only 19.5" wide, the other 29.5" wide. I've tried using these tables each on a wall and butted up to each other so as to enlarge my table surface.

I would like to be able to have at least two sewing machines set up at all times for several reasons. I also have a 2 x 4' cutting table set up as well as my computer desk and 4 bookcases in this room, so space is somewhat limited. I use an over the door ironing board to save space.

Do you find that you can comfortably sew/quilt on the narrower width tables okay, or should I stick to leaving the tables butted together which leaves me much less room to walk around? It looks/feels cluttered this way, but gives me the larger space to spread out should I need to. Do I really need that space? I hear of folks putting out large quilts on teeny tiny sewing tables if need be - is it really that simple? Often, more table space just translates into more clutter space. Please help! I'd love to know what works for all of you out there. Thanks so much!

Happy quilting,