View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 08:05 PM
leighway

I have done professional organizing and have just a couple of tips you might find helpful...if you don't mind.
We all like to put things in containers but if the container is not large enough or if you don't group like items, you end up stashing lots of different stuff all over the place. Also, the shelves over your window won't serve you well...unless you like climbing ladders. The magazines and books up there are only going to catch dust. Also, the pegboard is another waste of space. You can't reach over the machine to get the stuff up high.
I see you've got thread distributed amongst several plastic boxes and lots of boxes under things.
So, for a start, group all items like thread into a single area, group scissors, cutters, rulers, needles, pins, all in separate areas. See how much you've got or how much storage you need, go to Walmart and buy all the same type of plastic container (see through) and come home and start neatly placing items in these containers. Don't toss the thread cones, stand them up, etc.
Then take down the pegboard and use it in the garage or laundry room. Get some inexpensive boards and brackets from HDepot and put them up where you've got your pegboard.
Place your boxes with things you use most on those shelves and place the shelves far enough apart to be able to pile up at least two, one on top of the other.
Take the magazine shelf down...it's clutter.
Use the ruler method and fold all your fabric neatly.
Loose the baskets up on top of the fabric and put more fabric high.
Loose the black canvas holder and move your table over to the right. Add more board and bracket shelves to the right of that. Take down that small white shelf with the adhesive. The adhesive should be grouped with glues, etc.
That should get you started and I bet it will be more fun to sew when you can easily put your hands on things you are looking for.
Another thing, and I did this in my sewing room, is be on the lookout or go to Ikea and get a 3 drawer dresser. Make an ironing surface on top and use the drawers to store more craft stuff, etc.
Hope these tips help you. Good luck!