View Single Post
Old 12-13-2012, 09:15 AM
QuiltingByCourtney

Originally Posted by hsquiltingmom View Post
Hi everyone,

After 3 failed attempts to get a full time position at my current job, I am contemplating starting a business of selling quilts. I would like to know how those of you who sell your quilts, figure out the pricing structure. Do you base the cost on the full price of the fabric? I buy all of my fabric on sale. I am going to figure the price of quilting at .01 per square inch for meander and .02 per square inch for custom quilting. That is in line with one of my local quilt shops.

Any help that you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Some people say double the cost of fabric some say triple it, as I have researched the prices are all across the board and it also depends on your area, like my area, you could never charge more then $500 per queen size quilt because ppl around here just can't afford it, but if you live in a fancy area where people have money to blow you might be able to get more per quilt...For me if I could make $200 a month net I would be ok, just enough to pay for groceries...but I have a hubby in the military so yeah I just need a tiny extra cash...and its fun to quilt...I want to start a quilting business from home and just quilt not to (start to finish quilts) but its been slow so I am just doing start to finish quilts on my spare time for friends and family and just double my cost of materials because I am mainly just trying to get my name out there and hopefully one day people will bring me their quilt tops and I can focus more on just long arming... hope this helps some.