View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 06:15 AM
Sandygirl

Originally Posted by Grace creates View Post
I would love to get into the quilting business also and teach quilting. I am a former teacher of elementary and would love to make that switch, so this thread was interesting to me. Good Luck
Quilt shops are always begging for good teachers. Make a list of what you would like to teach and write a quick description of the class , how many sessions, costs, etc. Talk to the shops. Ask them what classes they would like taught. Talk to other teachers to get a feel for what they charge, what the shops charge, contracts, etc. it is a business so you will want to cover all of the bases beyond just the curriculum. There are books n Amazon.com that help with staring a sewing/ quilting business and what it entails. Take some quilt classes at various shops to get a feel for how the instructors conduct their classes...make notes on what was good, what needed improvement,etc.

You are already a teacher. I would think that you should have an easier time transitioning into a new subject matter.

Teaching beginning quilting classes is a win win. The industry and shops love to attract new quilters to the craft.

Another idea is to look into being a sewing educator for machines. Of course, you will need to be familiar with a particular brand and their models. Maybe inquire about this by contacting the manufacturer.

Sandy