View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 07:10 AM
Iraxy

We did not celebrate Christmas as my parents were very religious in a religion that did not celebrate Christmas even though they were Christians. However, that did not stop me once I got my own family. We celebrate the whole month of December starting with "First Fire" which is the first fire of the season. We sit around the fireplace and talk and eat and nap and generally just "chill." We always have a 1000 piece puzzle on the living room table and work on it off and on during the month. Christmas Eve, the kids are allowed to open one present (their choice) and try to get DH and me to let them open another. No dice! Christmas morning is big breakfast time and opening presents. Laughter reigns. I have magi figurines around the house and they always find their way to the Christ child by Christmas. We go over the Nativity story and discuss it (since the kids have grown, these have been SOME discussions!) We always make a big batch of butter and chocolate chip cookies. All go home with the kids! All my DH's Christmases were sad before we were married (drunk, abusive dad, crazy mother), but all our Christmases together have been joyful, even when we didn't have much. We have each other and now we have 2 DD's and one DGD to share the joy with.
Merry Christmas to all on the board. You are an awesome bunch!