View Single Post
Old 12-14-2012, 11:53 PM
bdiver403

Default Re: Oiling and Cleaning a machine

Originally Posted by J Miller View Post
I'm pretty sure this 127 would classify as an extreme case. YUCK. I'm about 80± % finished cleaning it. I'm going to borrow the top tension spring off of my 66-1 and test sew with it today. Depending on how that works will decide it's fate.

The idea of running it through a car wash using the high pressure wand intrigues me. ( Do we have a devil icon here?)

Joe
Hi Joe,

I am not as experienced as so many of the seamstress here on this website; irregardless, that is not saying I would not love to be as talented as they are. However, after listening to you on numerous occassions now, I can't help but wonder, if I am cleaning my machine enough.

I found the machine I am most fond of a older Turquoise blue "White" in a cabinet in a Christian Thrift Store for $20.00. It only had one cam. I brought it home, cleaned the bobbin area taking the bobbin out as far as I could, rubbing with an old bath cloth all the parts underneath, then oiled it down very well, with towel on the floor, with store bought sewing machine oil. Truly I felt it was in pretty good shape. However, I let it sit for a couple of days, then tried her out. She sewed beautiful. I guess I have had her right at a year now, and must say that is the best $20.00 I have ever spent.

I don't want the oil to gunk up this machine. I have a great workhorse machine, and want to keep it that way. What should I be doing to keep the oil from accumulating as you speak of often here on this website?

Thank you for your help with this!
Barbara