Old 12-15-2012, 08:38 AM
koigirl

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain.
Default Tips on using new birthday gift...a Brother SQ9050 100 stitch machine....

A couple weeks ago, my DH surprised me with a new sewing machine. I am so excited but haven't had a chance to set it up and practice. DH also build me a huge sewing table and I am working on getting my spare room organized. With the time crunch and Christmas on its way, it may be the new year before I can play. It has been a few years since I have even touched a machine so I am feeling challenged. I don't even have any material yet, except for some shirts that my husband does not wear anymore. Here's hoping I leave him any to wear. : )

The only machines I have ever sewn on before were just straight line sewing, no fancy stitches at all. I know that will comprise the majority of the sewing that I do, especially when piecing the quilts together. Practice will be my best teaching tool, but would like to know of any tips and experiences you have had using a machine with this many stitches and functions, and it even as monogram stitching. I am not really sure about many things but am doing some reading to try and get my thoughts and ideas together.

Any help of any kind would be greatly appreciated. Even include the 'don'ts' if you have those too.

Thank you,
Vickie