Thread: Ebay Auctions
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 11:31 AM
HouseDragon

I've been buying on ebay for years. If you are thinking about buying a longarm machine and want tops to practice on, there are lots and lots of flimsies.

And many sad stories from estate sales: closets filled with finished tops that relatives didn't want once they found out the cost of batting, backing, and paying someone to quilt the tops.

2013 will be my year of finishing UFOs: I don't want to be one of those old ladies who never finish their quilts!

Just make sure to check the feedback. I was so excited to find an Elna SU (circa 1965) with the electronic foot control that I skipped that part. BIG mistake!!!

Why was I buying another machine just like mine for $200? The electronic foot controller disappeared in our move to Kaua`i and the only dude with replacements online was charging that much just for the controller! My DH said we could use the ebay machine for any other needed replacement parts.

Long story, short. He overcharged for shipping and replaced the electronic foot controller with a piece of cr*p. I complained and he blew me off. I complained to ebay but by then multiple complaints about the seller's business practices had got him banned.

Eventually I bought a third Elna SU through ebay without any problems and got a whole box of cams included with the machine and the needed controller.

Of course, six months later I found the controller in one of the few unpacked boxes. In a box marked "Towels".

Sweet Elna is still my backup machine:

Now I'm the proud owner of a Husqvarna 875Q. Bought at an AQS Quilt Show in Knoxville, TN.

Sorry to be so long winded .....